Old Log Church

Old Log Church, Schellsburg PA

 

HomeHistoryGeneologyEventsVisitingPhotosLinksContact Us
 

Geneology

 

Two hundred years ago, a German named John Schell, moved westward from the early settlements in eastern Pennsylvania to purchase a large tract of land nine miles west of Bedford. Schell brought his family and friends to this unsettled land and being a very religious man donated about six acres of land for the purpose of building a church. In 1806, settlers of the German Reformed and Lutheran faith built a log structure to serve as their place of worship. Later in the 19th century the log structure had siding put over the logs. After the church was completed, Schell “laid out” the town of Schellsburg, Pennsylvania in 1807. To learn more about the history of the “Old Log Church” click on the history page.

For a list of burials in the cemetary, click here.